10 March, 2012

Hating Puck Bunnies isn't Slut Shaming

Like many things in my life these days, this post started with a tweet. Well, two of them, because 140 characters simply isn't enough space some days. What I said was this: Unpopular opinion: I'm not going to pander & say female fans should support each other simply because we're all female fans. I've fought too hard to be respected as a true fan because I'm a woman, to be like "yay, puck bunnies, you're totally legit too!"

This recent round of "the media has a hate on for the female hockey fans" was spawned by a Sports Illustrated photo gallery (which appears to have been removed in the last 24 hours; I'll pause to LOL) that was dedicated to that special brand of female fan: the puck bunny.

Of course, people were up in arms, oh god, how could SI portray all of us female fans like this, what's wrong with them, why are they doing this... followed by a rash of "but what's wrong with being a puck bunny, after all, we're all female fans in our own way, we should support each other." Now, I eyerolled at the SI photo gallery, as I did at the one of the Ice Girls, as I do at so many media portrayals of the average female fan as someone just looking to get laid by her favourite player(s), but this embracing just because we're all girls is a bit much for me.

Obviously, there are many females out there who their mission is to get the player of their dreams. Literally, they want Crosby to put it in their five hole. Among other things that make me eyeroll hard enough to be headache-inducing. And yeah, you know what? If that's their mission in life, while I truly feel sorry for them that they're holding out for something that isn't going to happen (if the girl got Sid to do her, then I retract this statement and more power to you, girl), hey, it's their life, their choice, and if it makes them happy, go for it. No, really, enjoy yourselves, who are any of us to say you shouldn't?

However. Yep, there's a but there. I'm not about to stand up and say that the girl who shows up at a hockey game in too-tight of clothing, barely covering her up enough to be seen in public, or who rocks a sign asking a player for a date/a kiss/marriage/sex is as legitimate a hockey fan just because she's there. I refuse to band together with these girls in their mission for a piece of hockey ass as one of my own, just because we both have a vagina. I reserve the right to pass judgement on a girl at a game in a pink/glittery jersey, or in a tight cami, short skirt and high heels, just as much as I reserve the right to pass judgement on the brilliant guys who go to the Everett Silvertips games in jerseys that say "One Long Dong" and "The Big Dinger" on the back (oh how I wish I could find the photo of this; it was on my old phone and apparently wherever I uploaded it, is gone too. #sadface). Or the people who create frankenjerseys, or who bang on the glass every time a player skates by, or who stand up and wave at the camera when it's panned in their direction. I'll pass judgement on the guy who explained to his girlfriend that the player who got sent to the locker room after a fight with 3 minutes left in the game got a "miscellaneous conduct" penalty, or the woman who told her son that offsides was when there were too many players from the other team in front of the player with the puck.

All of these people might well be lovely individuals. Some might be people I'd like, in different circumstances, to be friends with. Some, probably not. Hard to say, because all I see about them is what they present to the world. We all make judgments about people's actions and appearances. Every single one of us. We're human, it's what we do. We spent two days on the reasons why in my interpersonal communications class a month ago; it's totally normal. And calling out the puck bunnies for what they present themselves to be doesn't mean that I have a problem with their actions -- it means I have a problem with their representation of the female fanbase, and I have a problem with the people who feel that, in order to get respect for the female fan who is not acting like she wants to screw a player in the locker room shower after the final buzzer, we have to support those who do as the same type of fan.

Be a casual fan. Be after a good, sweaty lay. Be provocative. More power to you. I don't care who you sleep with, so long as I'm not involved, and hey, sex is pretty awesome. Just don't expect me to think you're a fan on par with the women I call true fans, who care a hell of a lot more about the guy who scores on the other team than if he'll score with them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment